For media relations and travel-trade enquiries, please contact our provincial tourism partners.
US media or broadcast professionals looking for resources and information about Canada should check our Media Centre, which is home to hundreds of story ideas. For photos, high-definition b-roll and video—all rights-free and available for instant download—head to our Brand Canada Library..
Destination Canada’s Northern Lights Awards for excellence in travel journalism are open to magazines, newspapers, independent writers, photographers and Internet reporters in North America who have generated tourism-oriented coverage on Canadian destinations each year.
Canada Media Marketplace brings together Canadian media directors and representatives from the Canadian tourism industry with US-based media. Media guests represent travel and lifestyle journalists from broadcast, print, electronic and online consumer and travel publications. The purpose is to exchange the latest Canadian tourism information in a structured, professional setting consisting of scheduled, one-to-one appointments and related hospitality events.
US media also participate in Destination Canada’s GoMedia Canada Marketplace, held annually in Canada. These networking events help maintain and develop media relationships and position Canada front of mind. This event has limited capacity and is only open to a select number of invited media reps.
|Inbound travel to Canada from the United States|
|Overnight trip to Canada (000's)||11,423.3||10,570.7||9,922.5||11,748.5||11,597||11,886.7|
|Year to year change||-4,0 %||-7,5 %||-6,1 %||0,7 %||-1.3%||2.5%|
|Year to year change||-3,7 %||-9,0 %||-6,2 %||2,8 %||-1.9%||3,3%|
|Source : Enquête sur les voyages internationaux, Statistique Canada.|
- In 2014, the US economy improved significantly, with GDP expanding 2.4%, the highest level since 2006, and unemployment falling sharply from 7.4% in 2013 to 6.2% in 2014. The US dollar regained ground lost over the past years, appreciating 20% against the Canadian dollar from Q2 2013 to Q2 2015.(Source: Oxford Economics)
- US visitors represent Canada’s largest inbound travel market, accounting for 70% of all international overnight visitors in 2014.
- In 2014, the 11.5 million US visitors to Canada generated $7.1 billion in tourism receipts to Canada.
- US overnight visitors spent $615 per trip and stayed 4 nights in Canada on average in 2014.
- Over 45% of Americans travelling overnight to Canada came for a vacation, while another 24% visited family and friends.
- Although the business travel market represented a smaller number of travellers (14% of total US trips), the average overnight spending of $218 per night exceeds that of the US leisure market and all other key international markets.
Source: Statistics Canada, International Travel Survey, unless otherwise indicated.
Contact our team for more information.
Business Events Canada
For information on our Business Events Canada activities, go to the BEC Markets section of the corporate website.