Tap into your inner flower child or open your mind to theatrical creativity under Canada’s summer skies.
Suggested tweet: World renowned folk fests + creative live theatre form backdrop to Canada’s sunny summer http://ow.ly/LZ2L8 #explorecanada
Canadians are artsy people. We love creative talent, and celebrate it all summer. Winnipeg,MB, and Edmonton, AB, feature prominently—there’s some competitive history. Folkies love their bluegrass, country and even throat-singing, while theatre lovers in Canada have more fringe festivals to choose from per capita than anywhere else (and fringe tickets are super cheap).
1) Toronto Fringe: Theatre venues spread across downtown for more than 1,100 shows by 150-plus performing groups and singles. Some big hits get their starts here. (July 1-12)
2) Winnipeg Folk Festival: More than 80,000 latter-day hippies gather happily on a prairie meadow at 10 stages surrounded by aspen forests. (July 9-12)
3) Festival d’été de Québec: Canada’s largest outdoor musical event, where a thousand artists swarm across Québec City. Your world rocks here. (July 9-19)
4) Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival: The city’s beautifully restored Exchange District hosts North America's second-largest Fringe. (July 15-26)
6) Edmonton FolkFest: An island of folkery breaks out mid-cityin Gallagher Park, with a hill perfect for views of the main stage, the city’s skyscraper skyline and Muttart Conservatory’s glass botanical garden pyramids.(Aug. 6-9)
7) Lunenburg Folk Harbour Festival: The 30th anniversary of Nova Scotia’s longest-running folk fest happens all around town at this UNESCO World Heritage Site. (Aug. 6-9)
8) Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival: Vintage turn-of-the-century theatres in the city’s Old Strathcona Provincial Historic District, plus any other spaces suitable for temporary drama house North America's most-attended Fringe. (Aug. 13-23).
9) Atlantic Fringe Festival: Halifax’s 25th Fringe— Atlantic Canada’s biggest—kicks off with the traditional Sampler Smorgasbord Showcase, which has a snippet from every show. Theatre-goers choose their top picks to attend. (Sept. 3-13)
10) Vancouver Fringe: Granville Island hosts some 700 edgy performances over 11 days, with awards-night winners held over for five days at the island’s Performance Works venue. (Sept 10-20)
Looking for more visual inspiration from Canada’s arts and music scenes? Browse our Brand Canada Library for thousands of images and videos from all over Canada.
Follow us on Twitter @DestinationCAN