Crisp alpine air, outdoor hot tubs, saunas, maple-syrup scrubs and more all add up to body bliss for travellers.
Suggested tweet: Warm your soul at these 10 winter spas across Canada http://ow.ly/TJgCp #explorecanada
Picture steam rising from thermal waters as your body sinks into soothing bliss, with snowflakes dusting your lashes. Canada’s winter spas are natural places to warm your soul this winter. Try these 10 for starters.
1) Scandinave Spa, Whistler, BC: Breathe in crisp alpine air on a forested slope and feel your body unwind as you slip from hot pools to a eucalyptus steam bath to a wood-burning Finnish sauna. Cool off under a pulsating Nordic waterfall then wrap up in a robe and settle by the fire. Don’t miss the gorgeous Scandinave Spas in Ontario and Quebec, too.
2) Banff Springs Willow Stream Spa, Banff, AB: The Fairmont’s huge outdoor hot pool and hot tub will make you feel as if you’ve rediscovered joy. The indoor spa is a sanctuary of hot tubs, mineral pool, sauna, steam room and gentle cascading waterfalls, all bathed in a soothing blue light.
3) La Source Bains Nordiques, Rawdon, QC: Just an hour from Montréal, escape into this marvel of mature trees, steel and glass, which provides a gateway to geo-thermal-heated outdoor hot tubs, eucalyptus-scented waterfalls, a dry sauna and steam room, plus a unique dark room.
4) Balnea Thermal Reserve, Bromont, QC: Three words: Hot, cold, rest. In the Finnish tradition, Balnea summons each sensation, immersing you in a sweat lodge, two open-air whirlpools, Turkish-style bath, thermal waterfall and cold plunge. There are also 22 km (14 mi) of nearby hiking trails to explore.
5) Kingfisher Oceanside Resort Pacific Mist Spa, Courtenay, BC: A single day here feels like a month-long rest. From the heated outdoor pool you can follow the indoor “hydrotherapy path” to a massaging waterfall, mineral massage pools, a steam cave and rock-carved tidal bath.
6) Ste. Anne’s Spa, ON: The gorgeous grounds of this 19th-century stone inn, set amid 162 hectares (400 acres) of rolling countryside, exude calmness. A hot pool carved from the outdoor fieldstone grotto enriches the world-class spa treatments. Regulars swear by the Moor Mud Hydro Wrap and seasonal maple-sugar scrub.
7) Nordik Spa-Nature, Chelsea, QC: Take time to try the eight different saunas, including the Maa-sauna dug right into the bedrock, and seven hot baths at this Nordic-style spa gem. Along with the hot tub and cold basins, the Källa salt-water floating pool will melt your tensions as you float weightlessly.
8) Halcyon Hot Springs and Spa, BC: Venture lakeside to Halcyon’s three hot springs pools circled by fir, pine and cedar, all laden with snow in winter. As you soak in mineral-rich waters on two levels, admire the snow-capped Monashee Mountains in the distance.
9) The Spa, Four Seasons Resort, Whistler, BC: You’ll find an outdoor heated pool and hot tub at this luxurious ski-lovers’ hideaway. Indoors, exquisite spa treatments feature products designed to smooth and soothe, such as the Sea-to-Sky massage or the Four Seasons Whistler Treatment with its famed maple syrup and brown sugar scrub.
10) Amerispa at the Fairmont Tremblant, Mont Tremblant, QC: Devoted to melting away tired bodies after the slopes, Amerispa has heated outdoor Nordic and whirlpool baths at the foot of the Laurentian Mountains. Indoor pools, a Finnish sauna and steam baths complete the experience.
Looking for more visual inspiration from Canada’s winter experiences? Browse our Brand Canada Library for thousands of images and videos from all over Canada.
Follow us on Twitter @DestinationCAN