From Old Grizzly gouda to Dragon’s Breath blue, Canada’s award-winning artisan cheese is ripe for the tasting across the country.
Suggested tweet: Say cheese! Canada’s artisan makers bring a whole world of flavour for hungry travellers http://ow.ly/QMQj7 #explorecanada
Cheddar may be Canadians’ cheese of choice, but a new generation of cheesemakers is adding a world of flavour to the artisan cheese board. Here are 10 to whet your appetite.
2) Drive along Okanagan Lake in Kelowna, BC, to Carmelis Goat Cheese for perfectly ripened rounds of artisan Chabichou or a chunk of crumbly Goatgonzola.
4) Head to the village of New Bothwell, MB, and the Bothwell Cheese factory shop for a taste of some of the country’s finest cheddar.
5) Find gooey grilled cheese sannies made with aged local cheddar at the Gorilla Cheese truck in Hamilton, ON, belly up to the grilled-cheese bar at Janice Beaton’s cheese shop in Calgary, or grab a spot in line at Reel Mac and Cheese in Vancouver for a cheesy macaroni menu (think Some like it Hot with banana peppers).
7) Quebec has too many fine artisan cheesemakers to mention. Discover some award-winners along Route Gourmande des Fromages Fins du Québec, a cheese trail that runs from le Baluchon at Fromagerie F.X. Pichet to the heavenly Louis d’Or at Fromagerie du Presbytère.
8) Step into an Economusée dedicated to cheesemaking at Laiterie Charlevoix to taste cheese made with milk from the Quebec region’s famed Canadienne breed of cows—the washed-rind Le 1608 is a winner.
Looking for more culinary Canadian inspiration? Browse our Brand Canada Library for thousands of images and videos from all over Canada.
Follow us on Twitter @DestinationCAN