CTC News

Want to make a deep dive into travel? Ask CTC’s Tourism BizWiz.

Get the latest info on the CTC and Canadian tourism industry. This time: spelunking insurance.

12 April 2012


We are a group of three people who would like to create an outdoor non-profit organization that specializes in spelunking in the province of Quebec, then eventually in the US, elsewhere in Canada and internationally. Before creating this organization, we are assessing various costs. Among them is liability insurance, but we haven’t found any companies that provide insurance for our type of activity. Do you have a list of insurers for our type of business?

Thank you.

Catherine Dion-Richard

Hey Catherine,

Spelunking is one of the BizWiz’s favourite words, it’s so onomatopoeic. The last time I heard it was in the movie “Batman Begins” when Lucius Fox, played by Morgan Freeman, suggests memory cloth was never marketed to the “billionaire, spelunking, BASE-jumping crowd.”

Much as that movie is fun, that won’t help your business get started. Instead, see what Gilles Valade, chair of the Adventure Studies faculty at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, BC, has to say. As mentioned in previous BizWiz stories, he is Canada’s outdoor adventure tourism insurance master. If anyone can point you in the right direction, it’s Valade and his extensive network of contacts.

Best of luck with the new business. It sounds like a great adventure!

All the best,

Tourism BizWiz

Ask the Tourism BizWiz a tourism-industry question. We’ll answer with expert advice from the frontline. 

Just send your questions to the Tourism BizWiz at bizwiz [at] ctc-cct [dot] ca (bizwiz [at] ctc-cct [dot] ca), or add a comment below.


Post a comment

(Read our comments disclaimer)

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
This security code is to protect the CTC from automated spam submissions.
Enter the characters shown in the image.


Hi Tom

Someone else raised this with me earlier in the year.

According to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/), as of March 1 foreign nationals who are criminally inadmissible to Canada under grounds such as DUI without imprisonment can apply for a one-time fee-exempt temporary residence permit. The CIC website contains the full specifics of this change in public policy (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob389.asp)

Hope that clarifies things.

best, Mat

I am planning a trip to Montreal for 4 days in October. I recently read that U.S. citizens with DUI on their record will not be permitted entry into Canada if violation was within 5 yrs. Is this still the case?

Greetings! Very helpful advice on this article! It is the little changes that make the biggest changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

adventure tourism

Hi Herb,

This isn’t normally an area I’d cover, but thought I’d research it as this is a common question. The Star-Tribune article was indeed correct, according to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/). As of March 1, foreign nationals (your good self in this case) who are criminally inadmissible to Canada under grounds such as DUI without imprisonment can apply for a one-time fee-exempt TRP. The CIC website contains the full specifics of this change in public policy. (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob389.asp)

So it looks like you’re good to travel—enjoy your fishing!

All the best,

Tourism BizWiz

I had a DUI 3 years ago, and since have been prevented from going to Canada. I read an article in the Minneapolis Star, about the Canadian government changing the law, to permit people like myself, with only one DUI, to enter your country. I've tried the consulate in Minnepolis, they referred me to the one in Detroit, which will not answer questions on the phone. Their website doesn't appear to have changed regarding the above. Can you tell me how to go about gettting the free TRP, or in fact they haven' t changed anything. I wish to resume fishing in Canada, and being able to visit friends who live there. I don't want to travel to the border, only to be turned away, without an official TRP document. Please advise. Thanks.